Kath Usabal is the Head of Marketing at Vision6, Australia’s most reliable email and SMS marketing platform. In this role, Kath is responsible for leading the marketing team to deliver data-driven, full-stack marketing campaigns to grow the Vision6 brand, increase customer retention and brand loyalty.
With over seven year’s experience in the digital marketing space, working within an agency and as an in-house marketer, Kath’s expertise spans across B2B and B2C organisations.
Prior to Vision6, she worked with brands like Stamford Hotels, Capital Hotel Group, TOP 10 Holiday Parks and BIG4 Holiday Parks. She’s been on the judging panel for the Women Leading Tech Awards for the past two years, and is an advocate for empowering women in marketing and tech.
Career & Background
What inspired you to do what you are doing now?
It all started with my love for writing which made me want to study journalism at QUT…only to realise that journalism wasn’t for me! It took me a while to find out what I really want to do with my life – various internships, different roles in different industries and many sleepless nights. Then I landed a copywriting role which turned into a digital marketing role. I absolutely fell in love with the world of digital, marketing and tech and have not looked back since. Along the way, I was lucky to come across amazing mentors who inspired me to continue and build on my career to get where I am today.
What was your journey and where are you headed in your career right now?
Your favourite food for thought
- Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder by Reshma Saujani
- Brave New Girl: Seven Steps to Confidence by Chloe Brotheridge
- Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott (empathetic leadership is a great skill to have no matter where you are in your career journey)
Podcasts / Thought Leaders
- Unthinkable by Jay Acunzo – Great insights and stories from industry professionals in business, marketing and creative fields.
- The Metrics & Chill podcast by Databox – I LOVE learning about all things data and analytics! They give very insightful tips on new trends, how to make your data speak for your marketing strategies and more!
- I also follow Ashley Levesque, VP of Marketing at Banzai – she has great takes on B2B SaaS, leadership and an inspiring mentor.
What drives and inspires you
What are your core values?
- Making a difference
Who is your biggest inspiration and why?
Women. Because gosh we’re bloody awesome! I’m inspired by women who have faced adversities and discrimination, who stood their ground, and who provide voices and platforms to those who don’t have one. And as cliche as it sounds I’m inspired by my parents. We immigrated to Australia when I was a teen and they sacrificed so much to provide us (me and my 3 younger sisters – yes all girls!) with the best life possible.
You as a Mentor
Why have you decided to become a mentor?
I’ve come across many talented mentors throughout my career who helped shaped my journey. I want to support young individuals in the same way and learn and grow together.
What are the top 5 skills or qualities you bring to mentoring?